Monday, August 27, 2007

Practice

~There's going to be quite a few pics just so you know.~

I figured while I was waiting for my Kauni to arrive (thank you again my wonderful hubby), I might as well practice a bit with the pattern. So I took out a set of circulars and two colors of yarn and went to work. This is what it ended up being.




Here is a closer view of the front.



And just cause everybody wants to see the innards, the inside.






And then since I have no sewing machine, I decided to try a crochet steek.



And then came the scary part. I've never done this before. (And really, my hands aren't that big. Just hard to pose that pic.)




And then here is the one of the cut edges.





Since this "swatch" is so long (26 inches x 6 1/2), I've decided to try some more steeks. The first one wasn't quite right. And I might as well get it right now. More pics of that once I do them.

And then I decided to practice the button bands. These are right at the center front where they should be. With the cut steeks folded under.





I've never done so much pre-knitting work on any project before. I hope that it will prepare me for knitting the actual cardigan. Although there are still more scary parts to the pattern that I won't be able to do until I am knitting the real thing. Hopefully by then, I'll be more confident. But no matter what, I know I will love knitting it. And that's always the important thing, right?

7 Your Thoughts:

At 3:07 AM, Blogger Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Mini-Kauni here you come - I promise the peole-sized version really isn't that scary, the only thing I would change so far would be to sew the armhole steeks before joining the shoulders but you're some way from that at the moment!

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Monika said...

I usually don't do big swatches like that either, but practicing a new technique is always worth it. I'v enever done steaks and cut into knitting. Must be an exciting feeling! ;o)

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

Isn't steek cutting an adventure! I thought your buttonbands came out very nice. What ratio of picked up stitches to rows did you use?

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Octopus Knits said...

How very smart of you! That's a great idea.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Great idea to do a practice swatch! I felt so much better once I got my first steek cut under my belt. Can't wait to see your Kauni!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Ang said...

There is something really scary about steeks, you're very brave!

The swatches look great, I bet you're dying to get your hands on the real thing!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You are the newest steeking goddess. Good for you. I'm glad you had the courage to take the plunge. It will help me when I finally get there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mischief Managed



Listen to Metallica 24/7 on AOL Radio



Click here for episodes and info; click here to subscribe via iTunes, and click here to use this player on your space and win prizes!
HP Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next