Sunday, August 07, 2005

MASH and spit

Well I had a scary experience the other night. I was sitting happily knitting away (from a CHART), and I go to unwind some yarn off the spool and saw a break in it. When the spool had been wound, there was obviously an end to the fiber and they just picked up another end and kept right on winding. I am using this to knit a lace shawl. I had no idea how I was going to weave in an end into open holes. Then I remembered reading in a blog where someone had spit-spliced their yarn and kept right on knitting. So I figured why not try. Couldn't hurt could it? So I did it and then kept on knitting. I either didn't do it enough or I did it too much, because the ends started to come loose. So I had to make a teeny knot. Luckily where it lays it doesn't show. I know it's there, but oh well. I didn't have the heart to re-knit all those rows that I was so proud of already. I have 20 rows left and I will be done with Clue 2 of the Mystery Shawl. I will post a pic of it then.

While knitting, I was watching M.A.S.H. Love that show, have loved it and watched it for as long as I can remember. It just so happens that this was the episode that was on.

Season 9

A War for all Seasons
December 29, 1980
Written by Dan Wilcox and Thad Mumford
Directed by Burt Metcalfe
Guest Stars: Carl Freed, Laurie Bate, Jeff Maxwell

On New Year's Eve, the staff looks back on the highlights of 1951: The doctors invent an artificial kidney machine; Mulcahy plants a garden; and
Margaret takes up knitting.

During this episode, Margaret starts by knitting a dishcloth. This turns into a scarf. It then turns into a sweater. And lastly turns into a blanket. She was knitting this on two straight plastic needles. I was wincing from all the stitches scrunched up together on them.


Why is it that now that I knit, I always notice it on tv? I am sure there have been people knitting on tv and in the movies for a long time. I guess since my brain is filled with visions of yarn and patterns I want to do, that I pick up on all things knitterly. I have even found myself closely inspecting knit garments in stores looking to see how they are put together and what they are made with. Am I too addicted? I hope so!

And to leave you as the show M.A.S.H. did on it's last episode:

2 Your Thoughts:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger spirals said...

i notice stuff like that allthe time.. im retarded, i always inspect everything.... how is it made what kinda yarn yadda yadda... oh well.... happy knitting!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Elspeth said...

I've heard the spit splice method only works or works best with 100 % wool or alpaca (so it basically felts) but I do it all the time anyway! I'm surprised I haven't seen this MASH before, thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mischief Managed



Listen to Metallica 24/7 on AOL Radio



Click here for episodes and info; click here to subscribe via iTunes, and click here to use this player on your space and win prizes!
HP Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next